Exit Slip October 15 - Discussion About Grades

What kind of people do we hope our students will become because of their schooling?

I can't speak for all teachers, but I certainly hope that my students will become happy, thriving, and ethical citizens, concerned for the well being of their communities and people around them. I think that there is a lot of formation that goes into developing the whole person, some of which can occur in the high school classroom. Teachers can help build their students' confidence and self-esteem by giving constructive feedback and appropriate praise. Additionally, collaboration and study/work opportunities focused on current local, national, or global issues can help foster a sense of citizenship. These are some ways that we can work toward the previously stated goals.

What kind of society do we want our schools to contribute to? How might marks, grading, assessment and evaluation, testing, etc. have an effect on the overall society?

Again, in my personal view, I would hope that our society is one that values the dignity of all human beings, our health and wellness, global peace, the environment, research / intellectual pursuits, the arts, and more. Schools will directly contribute to our society at large through the formation of youth who are an integral part (not just "the future").

I think our current grading system affects society insofar as marks have a personal effect on the way individuals students view themselves and what career(s) they end up pursuing. As I have stated in my entrance slip, I believe that grading is a necessary practice in our current society. However, as teachers, I think we need to be careful about how we grade and how our assessment practices affects students' confidence and motivation. Moreover, we can petition as a collective to the ministry of education or school district when there are grading practices on a provincial or district level that are not equitable or effective (hard to prove though).   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Slides and Reflection

End of Term Reflection

Exit Slip - Nov 26