Exit Slip - Nov 26
Today, I worked on gathering few more resources for my literature review (including some from Susan's recommendations) and also discussing my research topic and questions with my peers. At this point, I have established my topic as proofs and mathematical argumentation in secondary mathematics education. Some guiding questions of my research are:
1. What are the benefits to including proofs and mathematical argumentation in the secondary math curriculum?
2. What are some challenges that students and teachers face that inhibit the use of proofs in the math classroom.
3. How can teachers effectively engage and guide students in the process of learning to prove and argue mathematically?
The next steps of my research will be to read approximately 4-8 more research papers on the topic, and also contact people from the teaching and learning community for conversations.
I plan to devise a list of questions for my interviewees in the coming days. I intend to reach out to some or all of the following groups within the next two weeks:
- Math teachers at my practicum school
- Students at my practicum school
- SA's of some classmates
- Current math teachers from my class of education at Queens University (from the year that I did not complete)
- Teaching and admin staff at Brentwood College School
- CEMC staff
Comments
Post a Comment