Presentation Slides and Reflection

Slides:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19NSQ-7Ydyjy5Nc81KkO-22_X5BTr6O-9/view?usp=sharing

Reflection:

Having the opportunity to research an area of personal interest was highly motivating and exciting. The hardest part of the inquiry project for me might have actually been deciding on my research topic and questions because there were so many facets of mathematics and physics education that intrigued me. 
    
Initially, I began reading about promoting conceptual thinking in mathematics through creative question design, but then I stumbled across the vast body of educational research discussing proofs. In fact, after doing some initial reading, I was pretty curious about whether or not incorporating proofs and proving in a secondary mathematics setting could be an effective way to promote conceptual thinking. My literature review affirmed this hypothesis and also described many other benefits that come from the teaching and learning of mathematical proof. At the same time, many articles outlined the numerous challenges involved in practice. This agreed with my experience as a student and working in a high school for the last two years.

Similarly, in the conversations that I had with active teachers, almost all of them agreed that there is a tremendous educational benefit to teaching proof, but there are many logistical hurdles to overcome such as variable student preparedness (prior knowledge and skills), teacher capability/confidence in this area, and a shortage of time in a rushed curriculum.

Another thing that I learned through this project was that it is very difficult to get a hold of teachers during a busy pandemic year, and especially while they are marking and writing report cards. Many of the teachers that I contacted were not available. I will need to be more proactive in my planning of speaking with people in the field for Inquiry 2. 

I’m not 100% sure of what the Inquiry 2 course will look like, so I’m not entirely sure which way I want to take things. I’m leaning towards contacting more people in the field and researching creative solutions to the practical challenges of teaching proof. I’m also interested in trying to discover what resources already exist out there to help teachers in this mission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of Term Reflection

Exit Slip - Nov 26