End of Term Reflection

Much like my experience in EDCP 342A, this course helped broaden my perspectives of what it means to be an educator in math and science. I feel like the readings, discussions, and events (such as attending the Reconciling Ways of Knowing talk) provided a rich content base for reflection. 

I am now more aware of how math and science teachers can (and arguably, should) incorporate issues of social justice and activism into their teaching. This is something that I have usually avoided in the past because I am not that comfortable with my knowledge level on certain issues or how to integrate it smoothly into the curriculum. I've come to realize though that learning to facilitate appropriate discussion and finding creative ways of making the curriculum relevant are what is necessary. A teacher can't possibly be an expert in everything, but a teacher can always lead meaningful inquiry and discussion in respectful and intelligent ways.

Also, I really enjoyed the inquiry project. I feel like I learned a lot about an issue that is relevant to teaching mathematics right now. It was a great blend of practical and theoretical considerations and personally meaningful. I have included a deeper reflection in a separate blog post.

I don't have any particular suggestions for Inquiry 2 at the moment other than maybe sharing an outline of the rough schedule before the start of classes so that we can begin to plan our time. Personally, I will be doing some work over the holidays (boo), but it will be necessary so that I don't become overburdened with practicum preparations in January/February. I hope to be able to put in a bit of work on unit planning and maybe some inquiry project research now so that I can have opportunities to recharge each week during classes. I'm looking forward to continuing my project in the next couple of months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Slides and Reflection

Exit Slip - Nov 26