Entrance Slip October 8 - Embodied Learning in Math/Science
Commenting on Henderson and Tamina article ...
I was fascinated with the construction of physical representations of the hyperbolic plane, as well as the investigation of the inherent geometry of machinery. I have always held that tangible experience is necessary to develop a strong scientific understanding, and studying physics, physical phenomena gave me a way to visualize some geometry and vectors. That being said, I am continually fascinated by the way physical experiences can enrich mathematical understanding. I have always been interested in "picture proofs", but I will need to look more into tangible "proofs" as well.
One important point to make though is that embodied experience alone is not sufficient to bring about understanding. For example, without any of the commentary in the article, I would not be able to recognize a crocheted hyperbolic plane from just seeing or feeling it. There is an intersection of the mind and body that needs to take place for a full understanding to come about.
Comments
Post a Comment