Exit Slip Sept 24 - Reconciling Ways of Knowing
Dr. Kimmerer's words have been thoroughly thought-provoking for me. The chapter of her book that we read prompted some deep reflection which was then subsequently expanded upon by listening to her live at the Reconciling Ways of Knowing conference.
One really important detail that I took away from the conference is that I was thinking in an incomplete way. It is not authentic reconciliation if we simply use indigenous ways of knowing for specific, compartmentalized purposes; there is a wholistic essence that should not be broken apart for utility. I really liked Dr. Kimmerer's metaphor of the Three Sisters growing together with indigenous ways of knowing as the corn stalks that guiding science (the spiralling beans). At the same time, I have a hard time adopting this model without any reservation.
Although I can appreciate the value of the indigenous cultures of these lands, I also recognize that there are other cultures present here in our shared society and that we exist in a complex equilibrium of somewhat contradictory ideologies and beliefs. For me, I think science is (and maybe should be?) guided by this strange collective of people together, and not give preference to a certain set of beliefs. I recognize that historically, preference has been primarily given to European and Christian belief systems, but I'm not sure that this preference was a good idea. Likewise, I don't know if it is much better to universally embrace indigenous ways of knowing as the proper guiding principles of science without some critical consideration. Perhaps public school educators should bring attention to how science can be guided in a plurality of ways based on personal beliefs and ethics? I'm not sure what the best way forward is here, to be honest. This is a question that I will continue to ponder.
Comments
Post a Comment