Entrance Slip Oct 1 - Moshe Renert

 One thing that made me stop while reading this article was the idea of using intractable problems to students in order to stimulate their interest and engagement. Although Renert was specifically referring to this as a possible technique to teach an intuition for large numbers for the purpose of sustainability education, I believe that this technique could be very broadly applicable. Another point that piqued my interest was Renert's proposal to move away from an algebraic and linear focus in secondary mathematics, to "qualitative visual reasoning and descriptive analysis" (as he puts it). Although this would be a difficult task, I think that there are great benefits to shifting focus, or at least extending our current curriculum to build other mathematical skills that are arguably more suited for modern application. 

Personally, I think one small thing that we can do as math educators is to help students recognize the critical role that advanced mathematical methods play in advancing in sustainability—whether it be research, technology, economics, finance etc. I also think the modern school system unintentionally creates a bit of a divide between STEM and activism. Although math can be impartial, it doesn't have to be without purpose. I think simply including relevant, emotion inducing examples and applications int he classroom wherever possible (even if they are somewhat simplified) can help to students put purpose to mathematics. Lastly, we can help students (and other staff) to properly understand statistics in light of common misinterpretations and the resulting despair which the media so loves to inflate. Although the world is certainly in trouble, I think we need a calm, rational approach to avoid panic and pessimism.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Slides and Reflection

End of Term Reflection

Exit Slip - Nov 26