End of Term Reflection
Much like my experience in EDCP 342A, this course helped broaden my perspectives of what it means to be an educator in math and science. I feel like the readings, discussions, and events (such as attending the Reconciling Ways of Knowing talk) provided a rich content base for reflection. I am now more aware of how math and science teachers can (and arguably, should) incorporate issues of social justice and activism into their teaching. This is something that I have usually avoided in the past because I am not that comfortable with my knowledge level on certain issues or how to integrate it smoothly into the curriculum. I've come to realize though that learning to facilitate appropriate discussion and finding creative ways of making the curriculum relevant are what is necessary. A teacher can't possibly be an expert in everything, but a teacher can always lead meaningful inquiry and discussion in respectful and intelligent ways. Also, I really enjoyed the inquiry project. I fee...
Adam, thank you for sharing your honest reflections of your practicum and your current pondering about the commitment needed for teaching as a vocation. Class preparation and assessment pieces are absolutely a lot of work in the first few years! I am curious about your interest in pursuing an MSc in atmospheric sciences and if that could be connected to your work as a teacher.
ReplyDelete