Identity and Agency Assignment
Reading #1: Local Matters: The Time/Space of Social Identification and Learning
I definitely agree with Holland’s (2006) analysis of Wortham’s observations in that they strongly suggest a “generativity and significance of local meaning making” in the context of identity (p. 168). The recognition of local, short time-scale developments in sociological patterns that emerge within classrooms is something that should be considered seriously by teachers. Certainly, these ideas resonate with my own personal experience as both a teacher and a student. On my practicum, it was easy to observe how some students had come to identify with particular stereotypes that were created within the school. For example, I had a particularly disruptive Science 10 class that had a reputation around the school for being a “bad crop” of students; the students surely did not live under a rock and responded negatively to their teacher’s often low expectations for their behaviour, creating a vicious cycle.
Similarly, when I was a student, I experienced gender-driven local frameworks wherein my English teachers often expected boys to achieve at a lower level than girls in English class. Looking back, I certainly adopted that mindset and was comfortable receiving lower marks in English than all of my other subjects, thinking that improvement was unlikely, and finding solace in comparing my poorer grades with my male peers. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I look back on English class with such distaste in comparison to math and science classes, where perhaps the gendered assumptions were reversed. I certainly do not want to make gendered assumptions about my students in the math and science classes that I will teach, and this will be something that I reflect on and pay close attention to in my practice.
Reading #2: Symbolic worlds in time/spaces of practice: Identities and transformations
Wow, yes those in-school stereotypes - they can amplify the behavior being stereotyped, and then can be very difficult to shift within the students and the school community, if they've become entrenched. It's worth the effort to try to shift them, but, not simple -
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes indeed, I agree that the figured world of "high school" is as you have described it --
I think I more frequently describe myself as "educator", except when I know that the person asking really just wants a quick "what's your job" reference point (rather than really wanting to know me as a person). And, with students, I try to work toward relationships of "partner/guide in the learning journey", but within the school system that identity shift can be a long struggle. In my current teaching context I have some students who are in my Science 9, then Physics 11, then Physics 12 ... so, 3 years of me in their life. It's usually not until the tail end of Phys 11, or within Phys 12, that we manage to achieve a more genuine feeling of "partner in learning/guide/support" -- probably because the system as whole is rarely framed that way.
Finding a way to be true to ones values while working within a system that isn't necessarily always reflective of those values -- it's a challenge! (I'm ultimately grateful/happy overall, but I continue to grapple and struggle with the dissonance)
Thank you for your insights -